Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas is here again.

Each year, this one especially, I become more aware of how much pressure we put on ourselves to be in a certain state of mind. To be content and super duper happy. From Thanksgiving down to the twenty fifth of December. And for what? Because this is the one time of the year where we are supposed to pretend we are okay even if things are far away from perfect? This year in particular is weird and I don't feel very merry or bright. Is that bad? No, I don't believe it is. I would rather take this moment for what it really is, embrace it, and continue the process ( <----- keyword) of growing. By embracing I don't mean wallowing. And I certainly don't mean pity party planning. But I don't see how ignoring or "forgetting" your troubles for these twenty five days will make it any better once the twenty sixth rolls around.
God is in the desert. God is present to the morose of spirit.
Wrapping presents and drinking your weight in eggnog can't disguise it.
Not for very long, at least.
So, if you are in a place of grief or sadness or disappointment this Christmas season, do not lose heart.
You are not alone and this won't last forever. Not with Christ as your Comforter and Father.

 "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted." 

For those of you who are feeling extra merry and/or bright, open your eyes and be there for those around you who aren't. There is a season for everything and I'm glad that every human being goes through each season at a different time....so there can be encouragement for the discouraged and joy shared with the joyless. I am grateful to have my family around me to celebrate Jesus, no matter the season.


He is alive. That is where my hope is found, not in my feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment