Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Middle of my mind.

Days pass enveloped with ordinary moments. Collected together, these seemingly common days along with their routines, are the essential ingredients of life. In my head, time has been measured by the last time I filled up my gas tank or how long I’ve had a library book. Nothing jumping out lately. Nothing quite extreme enough to make people on social media envious. But that’s the beauty of everyday. That my heart beats on and pumps blood throughout these miles of blue veins dressed up in pale skin. Each day, if my perspective is perpendicular, I’m learning that ordinary is so very remarkable. No day is like the one before. It may contain the same skyline views or you may walk with familiar people or order the same coffee. But who, lying in bed after living an entire day on this earth, says to themselves, “Well, that day was exactly like the one before.” Yes, sometimes the days run together in a wearisome drift. But we have the capability to make our days become set apart. A wise teacher, Ms. Sol, always reminded me, "Today is brand new, never been used." Don't let yourself be someone who sees ordinary as a curse. This won’t come by serving ourselves and feeding our desperately itching egos. Looking around us and making our hearts attentive to the people that are near us, that is what lifts us up from the inside out. Using all of our energy and precious time to polish and guard our solitude is a waste. We were meant for each other. This life we walk through everyday was not meant to be lived alone. Our lives were made for reverence and for relationship. Like Maya Angelou wrote, “We are more alike than we are unalike.” 
At this point in my life, as a twenty-five year old single woman, there are many ideas my younger self had about where I would be by now. My life is almost nothing like I expected it to be. There are people who have stepped into my life that I never dreamed of. And there are people who are still in my life who I thought would have left long ago. This is the life I want. The life I need. 
One where I am willingly surrendered to welcome the uninvited. 
Fellow heartbeats, you were made in the image of God and to live in His light.




No comments:

Post a Comment